The Parnell Business Association is a not for profit Registered Incorporated Society whose activities are funded, via a BID Targeted Rate paid by commercial ratepayers within the Parnell Business Association’s boundary area, known as a BID (Business Improvement District). The funds are collected by Auckland Council as part of the BID Programme and the relationship is guided by a BID Policy, which was updated in 2022.
MEMBERS, ELIGIBLE OR AFFILIATE MEMBERS AND ASSOCIATE MEMBERS.
The Parnell Business Association completed a BID Boundary Expansion in 2015 in order to represent and support all businesses in the Parnell area. If your business is located within a commercially rated property within the BID Boundary area, then you are automatically an eligible member, (otherwise known as a BID affiliate). This applies unless your business operates from a residential property which does not pay commercial rates. In which case we have options for Associate Membership.
All Parnell BID eligible members/BID affiliates are required to complete a membership form to confirm their membership via this link – (List your Business), and we encourage you to do this as comprehensively as possible so we can include all your relevant info on our database. It is also the responsibility of every member to keep their contact details updated with our office (email@example.com)
A Members Pack is available to download here.
The Parnell Business Association is the collective voice of Parnell and a strong advocate for business in the area, with an overall aim of fostering economic success. Our Strategic Framework is built on 5 pillars which guides our delivery of member services.
The Association is here to represent, support and help our members.
1. Advocacy & Representation – We aim to leverage and influence change and ensure that our members interests are represented and work closely with key partners such as Auckland Council, the Waitematā Local Board, Tātaki Auckland Unlimited, Auckland Transport and NZ Police. In this way we act as the conduit for Local Council and City Plans to be brought to the attention of members for feedback and input. Advocacy and Representation are top priorities to significantly influence local outcomes and multi-level stakeholder engagement, including landlords, business and retail members is essential for success.
2. Crime Prevention Strategy – creation and support of crime prevention initiatives that make Parnell a safe place in which to do business.
3. Marketing & Publicity – Our overall promotion and marketing objectives are to create awareness for our members, increase visibility of selected retail clusters and drive visitation to Parnell.
4. Member Communications & Networking – We are here to assist & guide the development and advancement of the commercial interests of business people via communications, networking and sharing of information, thus promoting the general welfare of the business community.
5. Physical Environment & Streetscapes – We are here to capitalise on the natural and historical significance of Parnell and be sensitive to issues that may impact on the environment – where relevant to advocate for the improvement and beautification of public space.
Business Improvement District (BID) Programmes are key local components of a productive and high value economy and contribute towards Auckland being the economic powerhouse of New Zealand.
The Parnell Business Association is a BID Programme as defined by Auckland Council. Bid programmes provide a mechanism and a relationship between the Parnell Business Association and Auckland Council. For more information on the Auckland Council BID programme and BID Policy, click here. Currently, 50 Business Improvement District (BID) Programmes operate across the Auckland region representing over 30,000 businesses and a Capital Value in excess of $72 billion (2022).
Under the programme, local businesses and property owners vote collectively to invest in opportunities to enhance their local business environment and deliver a suite of economic activities. Auckland Council applies the Parnell Business Association BID targeted rate, which is collected from the ratepayer/property owner or indirectly by the business owner/tenant located within the Parnell BID boundary area. (This does not duplicate basic services provided by the council such as water, refuse removal etc.)
100 per cent of the targeted rate collected by Auckland Council is returned to the business group. Auckland Council’s BID Policy covers the establishment of new BID areas, and explores proposed BID boundary expansions.
The Auckland BID Programme is an evolution of the previous Mainstreet associations, with the main difference that Mainstreets primarily focused on initiatives in the retail sector located in a town centre whilst BID Programmes are inclusive of all business types including retail, commercial and industrial businesses operating within a geographic area. They are also inclusive of all businesses, independent of scale, location or ownership.
Stakeholders within a BID Programme boundary area include:
It is important that all stakeholders are considered. Residential businesses are not included but may become Associate Members.
Following the expansion of our BID Boundary, the Parnell Business Association represents the interests of over 1,100 businesses and property owners.