Parnell Station officially opened this afternoon (13th March 2017). Tribute was paid by Auckland Transport CEO Lester Levy and Mayor Phil Goff to all those who lobbied tirelessly since 2005, with specific reference to Councillor Mike Lee The station is located in the Waipapa Valley between Parnell and the Auckland Domain, some distance north of the Parnell Tunnel. The current timetable can be viewed on this link and will be updated and services are added. The new station, at the foot of Cheshire Street, will be developed in 2 stages.
- Stage 1 includes a basic station and platforms.
- Initial basic station will be connected via the existing underpass which also connects Parnell and the Auckland Domain.
- The old Newmarket Station has been relocated to the site and is being refurbished externally.
- A new path from the station to Carlaw Park/Nicholls Lane and Stanley Street is under development. Joint funding has been provided by the Waitamata Local Board.
- Ticket gates will be installed later in 2017.
- Stage 2 will comprise further enhancements to improve the station access. The dates and funding for these works are to be confirmed.
- When the full station is in full use, more than 2,000 passengers are forecast to get off the train at Parnell in morning peaks.