Friday 24 March—Sunday 26 March, 8-11pm
Marvel at thousands of biodegradable sparks as they come to life to illuminate Pukekawa/Auckland Domain for three special evenings this summer.
Inspired by the breathtaking lights of fireflies, flocks of birds and galaxies of stars, famed design lab Studio Roosegaarde draws on state-of-the-art, environmentally friendly technology to present SPARK Auckland, a night-time spectacle for the senses.
This free, relaxed outdoor event invites Aucklanders to revel in the interconnectedness of humans and nature. As the dazzling display rises and falls on natural air currents before us, it creates a stunning alternative to traditional communal celebrations – and a feeling of child-like wonder that can bring us all together.
Imagined by Dutch designer and innovator Daan Roosegaarde, this organic floating light work has held thousands across Bilbao and London in raptures. Now, for three nights only, be among the first in the Southern Hemisphere to experience the magic for yourself. Bring your friends, family and a blanket, and be amazed under the sparks.
- Winner, Bronze Lamp for Spatial Design (2022) — Dutch Creativity Awards
- Winner, Live Experiences & Science, Education & Health (2022) — Lovie Awards
Suitable for all ages
This is an alcohol-free event.
- Football Road, Museum Circuit and Cenotaph Rd will be closed on 23, 24, 25 and 26 March 2023 from 6pm to 11.59pm.
- Football Road, Little George Street and The Crescent will be closed on 23, 24, 25 and 26 March 2023 from 6pm to 11.59pm.
- Access is to be maintained for the Auckland Museum at all times when the surrounding roads are closed.