The Parnell Business Association has been working in conjunction with Chorus and various local artists to beautify Chorus Cabinets throughout Parnell, and 2023 saw two new cabinets completed by Paul Walsh.
First was ‘Liquorice Allsorts’ (above), on 6 Ruskin St opposite Heard Park. This is which is just down the road from the Heards Building, which was named after the Heards family, who produced many Kiwis’ favourite lollies. It was also the Heards family that very generously donated the land that is now Heard park to the council. This Chorus cabinet is Paul’s take on a bag of Liquorice Allsorts, as this was a huge seller for Heards in its day.
Also completed in 2023 was ‘First Sunrise’, located at 535 Parnell Rd. This cabinet features a pied shag/kāruhiruhi and its chick to tie in with Birthcare, which is just up the road. They are sitting on a Titoki tree, as Titoki Street is just up the road. Both birds are looking out to their first sunrise as mother and baby.
All cabinets are made possible by funding from Chorus and The Parnell Business Association.
Other cabinets and locations we have in Parnell are:
- Garfield in Bath – Corner of Garfield Street and Bath Street
- Mohua/Yellowhead – 1 Birdwood Crescent
- Cheshire Cat – Corner of Cheshire Street and Heather Street
- Kingfisher (two sided) – 96 St Georges Bay Road
- Korimako/NZ Bellbird & Pīwakawaka/Fantail (two sided) – Corner of Parnell Road and Cathedral Place
- Pink & White Terraces & the Whale – Gibraltar Cresent
- The Wise Morepork Owl – Opposite Parnell Library, 545 Parnell Road
- Secret Garden – 125 The Strand
- Waxeye – 244 Parnell Road
- Hura te ao gecko/ Mokopiriraukau Galaxia – 110 St Georges Bay Road